Saturday, July 9, 2011

Oxford, England

 
My brother was finishing up his MBA at Oxford (aka "Harry Potter Land") this summer so I took advantage of the opportunity to sleep on his floor for free and went to go visit him.


Oxford students seem mostly to subsist on a combination of kabob trucks, Indian/Pakistani takeaway, pub fare, excellent UK dairy products, and Nando's. No pictures, as I was too jet-lagged, but Nando's is a decent, likeable spot when what you want is real food that isn't too processed or too challenging. Piri-piri chicken and a green salad for takeaway (the joint was packed), which I carried as my brother gallantly rolled my suitcase for me over the bumpy cobbles for 2.5 miles to his place and there ended a very long day of travel.


As a huge Tolkien-Lewis-Inklings fan, I had to go to the Eagle and Child (the original Bird and Baby for those who play LOTRO). Food-wise it's hard to give a review because they were pretty much out of food! It became a bit of a joke as each and every item my mother was interested in ordering was unavailable, and if you've ever met my mother, you will know that she's ever so delightful...when she's been properly fed. Otherwise, YMMV. Fortunately they were not out of Pims, Guiness, or G&T. History, Inklings, G&T, a sip of my mom's Pims, and I think I wound up eating a salad and a bit of calamari (it's what they had left). When you go, it's for the atmosphere and a pint, not so much the food.

No comments:

Post a Comment