Sunday, March 20, 2011

Getting Things Done: The evolving saga

I finally finished this quilt. I think I must have started it back in, oh, 2002 or thereabouts. In all fairness, I made a large stack of blocks in this pattern with these fabrics, and finished two other small quilts with them in a more, ahem, timely fashion. This one though just sat, all done except for the binding, for about 5-8 years (I really can't recall, that's how bad it is).

For those of you who don't quilt, all you have to know is that ABB, "All But Binding," is the quilty version of ABD, "All But Dissertation."

For years I didn't have a sewing machine in California. I would just wait until I went home for a break and sew up a storm on my mother's Bernina. During grad school, when I didn't have enough student loan money after paying tuition to pay rent, sewing machines were the least of my worries. Mom has now bequeathed me the Bernina and so hopefully this will be the end of the ABB.


The sad-funny part of all this is that I let it sit so long my tastes have actually changed. It's looking in retrospect like a bridge piece between my more traditional quilts in the 90s and the more modern quilts I have in mind for my next projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment